Sunday, January 6, 2013

this isn't how it's supposed to be

Do you ever feel like God wrote a Sunday School lesson specifically for you?

I almost skipped church this morning because I wasn't feeling well, but then I would have missed a Sunday School lesson that targeted the exact struggles I have been dealing with lately.

Ecclesiastes seems to be a pretty depressing book in the Bible at first glance, but it is filled with nuggets of truth about life. 



We studied the end of chapter 11 and the start of chapter 12 today.

Ecclesiastes 12:1-Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them;

The rest of chapter 12 discusses old age and the deterioration of life and the body.  Essentially, the point of the sermon was focused on what we can do when we are young.

Remember God in the days of your youth.

Before the days of evil come.



When you make important decisions, remember God, for the seeds you plant when you are young will become the foundation and roots of your life in your 30s, 40s, and so on.  The ideals you entertain when you are young will become your worldview when you are older.

Wow.  What am I filling my life with now? 

Am I entertaining my lusts?

1 John 2:16-17-For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth forever.

Or am I dwelling on Christ, and the things of God?

Philippians 4:8-Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.



While I am active and able, I need to remember my Creator, because when I am older I will not have as many opportunities to do so.  Deal with sin now.  Don't wait until it takes root with age.

Psalm 90:12-So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.

A long post, I know...but it seemed like God was being very specific today.

With God's help, my focus needs to move from the goals of keeping as many friends as possible and finding my husband now, to taking the moments I have now and turning my attention to God. 

How can I show my love for God now, instead of being selfish and impatient?

One of my favorite Hymns to inspire.  "How Deep the Father's Love for Us."

How deep the Father's love for me,
how vast beyond all measure
that He should give His only Son
to make a wretch His treasure.
How great the pain of searing loss.
The Father turns His face away
as wounds which mar the Chosen One
bring many sons to glory.

How can I be so selfish as to focus on my own happiness instead of God?

2 comments:

  1. It's neat when those lessons or sermons or daily Bible readings seem like they were written just for us, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inspiring thoughts and Scripture here!

    If I had applied all you are writing about here when I was twenty-something, I would have different life memories!

    Stay close to Him! It's a precious way to live out this pilgrimage on earth!

    ReplyDelete