Sunday, January 13, 2013

the shadow does not hold sway yet...

It amazes me how quickly the Enemy attacks. 

The very NEXT day after arriving back at school, a temptation is placed in front of me.

Not just placed.  A huge pit appeared right before me.

Begging me to fall back into the sins I struggled with last semester.

It also amazes me how quickly God counters the Enemy's attacks

He provided:

  • An evening filled with godly friends
  • Texts from a godly friend
    - "You doing ok?  Praying for you :)"
  • No way to fall comfortably back into the pit
  • Physical and emotional warnings against the attack

Today?  More temptations.  More invitations to be a part of the world's version of "fun."  The Enemy wastes no time attacking me.  Is this what my entire semester will be like?
I must admit, it tires me just to think of how much strength will be needed for fifteen + weeks of this.

God knows that I am weak and He brought a wonderful quote to my mind.

"The shadow does not hold sway yet.  Not over you... not over me."-Arwen, in the Fellowship of the Ring.



Even from a Lord of the Rings movie, God used something to speak to my heart. 

This may be difficult to push through, but each victory will make me a little bit stronger.  In Christ alone will I find my hope and strength.


In Christ alone my hope is found,
He is my light, my strength, my song;
this Cornerstone, this solid Ground,
firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
when fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My Comforter, my All in All,
here in the love of Christ I stand.

There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain:
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave He rose again!
And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me,
For I am His and He is mine -
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

No guilt in life, no fear in death,
This is the power of Christ in me;
From life's first cry to final breath,
Jesus commands my destiny.
No power of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand;

Till He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand
.

-In Christ Alone

2 comments:

  1. "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you." James 4.7,8

    Verses 5, 8 and 9 in James 4 tells us how to apply verses 7 and 10. Dig into that. Good stuff.

    "I will never leave you nor forske you. So we can confidently say, 'The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?'"
    Hebrews 13.5b, 6

    Joyful words, aren't they?


    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray Ps. 51:10 when I am in need of His help and in need of Him changing me. (That whole chapter is good.)

    "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me."

    The text from a friend was no coincidence - and actually, you could plan on texting godly friends any time a temptation arises. (Obviously, praying would be your first response.)

    Hope your first day back at school goes well. Praying for you! :)

    ReplyDelete